Schofield barracks dating


15-Apr-2016 21:38

Recognizances of alehouse-keepers: 1801 - John Auston 1807 - Joseph Martin 1813 - Joseph Martin, sureties John Martin, bricklayer and James Layzell, glazier 1814 - Joseph Martin 1816 - Joseph Martin 1817 - Joseph Martin, sureties James Harwood, gardener and Charles Harwood, printer 1818 - Joseph Martin [In the 1851 Census,the Rising Sun was occupied by Joshua Francis, sailor, and his wife Harriet Francis, beershop keeper, and their five children Edmund, Harriet, John, Julia and Henry, and Joshua Francis' father Joshua Francis, retired [beer] shop keeper. Other rising sun pub.s in Essex are/were: Chelmsford, Stanford-le-Hope, Billericay, Great Easton, Castle Hedingham, Epping Forest, Grays, Dunmow - and, in London, one near the Royal Exchange in Cornhil; one at Bethnal Green; one in Lewisham; one in Cloth Fair, EC1; one in Carter Lane, EC4; Stockwell; Pimlico; Camberwell; Smithfield; Poplar. The Promethean faith of revolutionaries resembled in many respects the general modem belief that science would lead men out of darkness into light. To BRAINTREE, - Hart, from the Bull, every Wednesday and Saturday ... In the 1881 Census, the Bull was occupied by George Allen, licensed victualler, and his wife Alice Allen, and their staff: Emma Bird, general domestic servant; Julia Layton, cook; Henry Biddy, boots. The Scheregate and Nos 1 to 4 (consec) form a group. The late C15 Part of the building has carved timber work. ---------- See Bale's painting of the Red Lion; published in 'The book of Colchester'; painting held by CIMS). To WALTON-IN-THE-NEYS, the Wellington, from the George and the Red Lion, every morning at eight from the month of May to October ... To HADLEIGH, - Warren,, from the Red Lion, every Thurs. ...' (Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory).] [In the 1851 Census, the Red Lion was occupied by Fanny Heard, widow (innkeeper), and her daughter Harriet Heard (music teacher), and her staff: Sarah Girlin, barmaid; Henry Taylor, servant, omnibus conductor; Charlotte Curtis, housemaid; William Clark, waiter; Mary Ann Francis, chambermaid; Harriet Loyd, cook; Harriet Loyd, kitchen maid; William Smith, waiter; Isaac Barham, ostler; Alfred Stowe, stable man; George James, boots (aged 15); George Green, errand boy (aged 15); Charles Edwards, coachman; and visitors (guests): W. Morgan, commercial traveller in drapery; Thomas Hunter, commercial traveller in tea; Henry C Blackburn, proprietor of houses. any Matter in Dispute relating to the said Bankrupt's Estate, and on other Affairs touching the same ; and all Persons indebted to the said Bankrupt, are desired immediately to pay the same to the Assignees, or they will be sued for the same ...' [Early 20th-century postcard, looking west along the High Street.] [Postcard of 1917.] - the two old postcards showing the front of the Red Lion are identical, but the Red Lion itself has been doctored in one of them [needs research]. [Nos 45 & 46 were the premises of William Peck, Wholesale and Retail Draper,and Manufacturers' Agent, in 1888-1890: 'One of the leading drapery establishments in the town of Colchester ... [In the 1851 Census, no 47 was occupied by Henry Downes (shoeing smith) and his wife Sarah, and their son Samuel Downes (shoeing smith).] Grade II. 2-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, large bay window to ground floor, doorcase with flat cornice head on plain pilasters. The timber framing is exposed in the upper storey and Nos 49, 50 and 51 have 2 original windows under the eaves with moulded frames and mullions. [In the 1851 Census, no 48 was occupied by widow Mary Harding Down (toy dealer and lodging-house keeper), visitor Susannah Rouse, and ten lodgers: widow Sarah Bannock, her children Caroline Bannock (laundress) and James Bannock (labourer), James' wife Emma (laundress) and their two small children; widower Mark Bland (labourer), and his three children William Bland (labourer), Georgeana Bland (tailoress) and Susannah Bland (tailoress). In 1804 he was prosecuted for assaulting a soldier's wife in the street (JBBBD).] [In the 1851 Census, the inn was occupied by Minerva Smith, widow (innkeeper)and her children Louisa Smith (dressmaker) and Phoarah Smith (grocer’s apprentice, aged 15) and her mother Elizabeth Johnson, also a lodger John Philpot, widower (whitesmith). In the 1881 Census, the proprietor was George Bensly, licensed victualler, who lived here with his wife Emma Bensly and their four young children, domestic servant Maria Knights, and three lodgers: John Wright, labourer; William Southernwood, labourer; Ned Hurst, traveller. 3 storeys, 2 windows, sashes with glazing bars, with a central blank on the upper 2 floors. -------------- [Formerly Peveril Hotel.] ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4526 - 1925, [building plan of reconstruction of 51 NORTH HILL, COLCHESTER], for Mr W. No 55 has a flight of steps to the front door with one handrail. Probabiy C17 timber framed with C18 and C19 frontages. Sir Isaac Rebow is said to have entertained William III here). In 1796, with Paine’s help, he obtained a passport, but merely to visit Hamburg in order to obtain remittances from England, not to return there, for, as Paine wrote to the French minister, Smyth liked ‘neither the Government nor climate of England' ..." - Colchester's social life was influenced in the [Georgian] period by improved communications, by the consequences of agricultural change in the surrounding rural area and of rapid industrialization in other parts of the country, and by the indirect effects of wars, including the temporary establishment of a garrison during the Napoleonic Wars. No 21 was occupied by farmer's widow Mary Deane, her daughter Mary Deane, visitor Phillipina Kingsbury (farmer's wife) and her small daughter Grace Kingsbury, and Mary Manning (servant).] A Kingsbury at school at No 27 East Hill in Census of 1851. Grade II. A plaque on the side of the building dated to 1972 states that the buildng was erected in 1698. 2 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled. The upper storey projects on the whole front and there are remains of brackets. The front is of red and blue brick and has a moulded wood eaves cornice, 3-window range (centre blocked) of double hung sashes with glazing bars, segmental brick heads. Nos 44 to 62 (even) form a group with No 17 Sir Isaac's Walk. Demolished in the 1980s but facade retained.] [For further information see story - The House that Ann and Hugh built. The upper storey projects on the north side of the rear wing. Memories of Dickie BIRD, born 1902; family background, childhood at the Coke and Pye public house where father was publican; pubs in COLCHESTER, staff at the Cock and Pye, soldiers, music; education, teachers, discipline; stories about Emma and Grimes and other tramps; story of Christmas draw; pubs open all day, food and drink served; Sunday School treats; skating on flooded fields; first ride in motor car; details of farms worked by uncles and aunts; story of seeing Buffalo Bill Cody land aunts; story of seeing Buffalo Bill Cody land an aeroplane in Abbey Fields; story of Salvation Army project 'Three Acres and a Cow'- subsequent failure of project and eviction of tenants; accommodation at father's pub; pony and trap racing ...' Old postcards by kind permission of J Jephcott. The premises are of good appearance, and are situated in an admirable position for the purposes of the business. 2 gables on the east front, the north one smaller, and the upper storey projects at 2 different levels with a moulded bressumer on the main block. Sir Isaac was the grandson of a weaver and a say-maker, a member of the Dutch community in the town, and he made his fortune in the cloth trade. The street 'Sir Isaac's Walk' is adjacent to Rebow's House. [j A] Frame survey by Richard Shackle (unpublished). Parapet front with angle pilasters and centre (3 bay) breaking forward slightly under pediment.

Sir Robert and Lady Smyth of Berechurch Hall, Colchester moved to Paris in 1791; Sir Robert was a revolutionary and friend of Tom Paine, and had been MP for Colchester 1784-1790. He was a member of the British revolutionary club in Paris and a close friend of Thomas Paine, but like many other British residents was imprisoned during the Terror. [In the 1851 Census, no 20 was occupied by George Thane (gilder) and his wife Eliza. --------------- In Bale's painting of East Street; published in 'The book of Colchester'; painting held by CIMS). Small C18 house, 2 storeys and attics, cellars, the roofs tiled. C17 interior features - staircase and ceiling beams. 2-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars. The south addition has a parapet and modillioned brick cornice, 3-window range, a belvedere in the centre of the roof. Timber-framed, with modern mock framing on front, and rendered. Colonel Dickie BIRD - Childhood at the Cock and Pye, recording and transcript: '... This business has been established upwards of twenty years ... He has a very good house at the entrance in at the south, or head gate of the town, where he has had the honour several times to lodge and entertain the late King William of glorious memory in his returning from Holland by way of Harwich to London ...' (Defoe 1722, "Tour through the Eastern Counties of England"). Red brick, 2 storeys and attics, the roofs tiled and hipped north and south one dormer to the front.

The heavy beams of the former partitions of the screens remain inside the garage. July 14: Storming of the Bastille May 5: Meeting of the Estates-General - voting to be by Estate, not by head May 28: The Third Estate (Tiers Etat) begins to meet on its own, calling themselves "communes" (commons) June 9: The Third Estate votes for the common verification of credentials, in opposition to the First Estate (the clergy) and the Second Estate (the nobility) June 13: Some priests from the First Estate choose to join the Third Estate June 17: The Third Estate (commons) declares itself to be the National Assembly June 20: Third Estate/National Assembly are locked out of meeting houses; the Third Estate chooses to continue thinking King Louis XVI has locked them out and decides upon a declarative vow, known as the "serment au Jeu de Paume" (The Tennis Court Oath), not to dissolve until the constitution has been established June 22: National Assembly meets in church of St Louis, joined by a majority of clergy June 23: Two companies of French guards mutiny in the face of public unrest. 2 storeys and attics, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled, one gabled dormer, cross wings east and west. The north half of the front (The Bays) has been demolished. 2 storeys, shop below, one sash window with glazing bars above. 2 storeys and attics, the roofs tiled, 2 gables on the front. [PD] The Riverside Hotel (formerly known as the Castle Inn and later the Market Cafe). In a deed of 1691, this building was called the 'Soape House' and was owned by Abraham Fromanteel (baymaker) and Samule Daniell (linendraper): postcard (above, 1908) by kind permission of J Jephcott. 3 storeys, 3 windows on the upper floors, sashes with marginal glazing. Knight, Cab Driver, and Harry Clayton, Tailor) 1882/Doctor Brown Hunter/Hair Dresser 1886/Charles Palmer 1894/Mrs. Ann Bonella 1898/Charles Robinson Everett 1899/Charles R. Parapet, modillioned cornice, painted bands and quoins, 5-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals and with flat rubbed brick heads. C19 grey gault brick front with parapet, 2-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars. Panelled door, pedimented doorcase, panelled reveals. He was a Colchester Alderman 1836-1841 (JBBBD).] [The Misses Coleman were living at 6 St Mary's Terrace in 1898; they were members of the Essex Field Club.] Grade II. Malcolm/../../../Kelly's*** 1862/William Malcolm/../../../Kelly's 1867/Elijah William Byham/../../../Post Office 1870/Roger Henry Chapman/../../../Kelly's 1871/Roger Henry Chapman/../../../Post Office 1874/William Edward Sallows/../../../Kelly's 1878/Miss Elizabeth Sarah Sallows/../../../Kelly's 1881/Richard Brazier/Innkeeper/53/Great Braddon, Essex/Census 1881/Elizabeth Ann Brazier/Wife/41/Colchester, Essex/Census 1881/Harry Richard Brazier/Son/15/Great Braddon, Essex/Census 1881/Gertrude Sarah Brazier/Daughter/12/Great Braddon, Essex/Census Note: Premises not named in 1881 1882/Richard Brazier/../../../Kelly's 1886/John Mc Vicar/../../../Kelly's 1894/James Richardson/../../../Kelly's 1895/James Richardson 1898/Charles Davey 1899/Charles Davey 1901/Chas Davey/Fishmonger & Inn Keeper/37/Colchester, Essex/Census **** 1901/Mary A Davey/Wife/39/Chesterfield, Derbyshire/Census 1901/Caroline Davey/Daughter/15/Chesterfield, Derbyshire/Census 1901/James W Davey/Son/13/Colchester, Essex/Census 1901/Violet M Davey/Daughter/2/Colchester, Essex/Census 1901/Archibald Eves/Boarder, Maltster/19//Census 1902/Charles Davey 1908/William Jeremiah Cockrell 1912/William Jeremiah Cockrell 1914/Wm. The upper storey projects on the west front on curved brackets. Picturesque, 1-storey and attics, 3 gabled dormers to each block, the roofs tiled. 2 storeys and attics, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled. List of publicans: the Sir Colin Campbell - 1861 Census (John Broadbent, Publican, Caroline Broad, with two visitors Eliza Rowe, Musician, and Ed Rowe, Musician, and two servants, Henry All and Amelia Crips) 1862 - John Dandison Broadbent 1874 - William Chaplin 1878 - William Chaplin 1881 Census (William Chaplin, Innkeeper & Builder, lived there with his daughter-in-law and confidential servant Emily Poole, and grandchildren Kate Poole, Minnie Poole, Fredrick Poole, Maude Poole, Emily Poole, and daughter and general servant Katherine Sumner) 1882 - John Spence 1886 - John Spence the Gaiety - 1894 - James P. Gill 1898 - Samuel Symons 1899 - Samuel Symons 1901 Census (George A Lee, Licensed Victualler, lived there with his wife Elizabeth Lee, and their children Alice L Lee, George A Lee, Rosa Lee, and servant Rosa Staff, General Servant) 1902 - George Albert Lee 1908 - Arthur Bantin 1912 - Arthur Borley 1914 - Albert Edward Compton 1917 - Albert Edward Compton 1933 - Cyril Burmby 1937 - Herbert Noel Wilton [1 photo. The upper storey projects on the front of the west wing. An early C16 building (circa 1520) with exceptionally fine carved detail, though much of the building was extensively restored in 1914. The cross-wing was formerly of 3 or more bays and has been truncated at rear. John's Street untitled (1 board) Queen Street, EAST HILL and High Street (7 larger boards). Mid C16, 2 storeys and attics, 2 modern gabled dormers, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled. Modern neo-Tudor 3-light diamond lattice casement windows. Early C20 double-fronted display windows, with recessed doorway left of centre. Remainder of ground floor opened into single retail area. Stick-baluster staircase with oval handrail and rectangular newels. The premises are of imposing appearance, and have a capital frontage, while the shop has two splendid windows for the display of goods. Important late C15 half-timbered house with carved detail. 2 storeys, one window; sashes, with glazing bars except Nos 6, 11, 12 and 13. The southern part may have been a weaver's house, as it has a long horizontal window to the first floor. The north part, at a lower level, has 2 storeys, coping, band between the storeys, 2-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, good Georgian doorcase with pediment head, decorated frieze and clustered pillars. for Colchester Borough, died 1788; he owned a house in London and also Fingringhoe Hall ('Colchester people - the John Bensusan-Butt biographical dictionary of eighteenth-century Colchester', vol. Interior reveals, formerly jettied cross-wing of probable C16, of very narrow span and with miniature crown-post roof.

Improved roads and methods of road transport enabled a faster interchange of commodities, and also of ideas and fashions, between the town and other parts of the country, especially London. C18-C19 grey gault brick front, 3 storeys and attics, 2 dormers, 1-window range. See old postcard held by ERO (1902): I/Mp 90/1/1/24 Grade II. This must refer to a major reconstruction of the building rather than its construction since parts of it are older in date. ------------ [In 1812, no 22 was occupied by John Brown, stonemason; in an advertisement, 'Statuary and MASON ... Timber framed and rendered with 2 parallel gabled pantiled roofs, at right angles to frontage. Good C14, C15 and C16 building, extensively restored but its general character preserved. In Bale's painting of East Street; published in 'The book of Colchester'; painting held by CIMS). ] [Old postcards, one 1906 (below) of with kind permission of J Jephcott.] Grade II. The front has a coved plaster eaves cornice to No 46, moulded wood cornice to No 45, central passageway to rear court and above the passageway a large C18 oriel window. The shop is narrow but long, and is thoroughly well appointed in every particular ...' (Iot ECBR)] [Thomas Grigson, ironmonger, traded from no 57 in 1757 and was a churchwarden at St Nicholas; he died in 1762 and was buried at St Nicholas (JBBBD by John Bensusan-Butt, ed. published on the Camulos web-site, for David Burston, Beer Bottler, of no 57 High Street, who was also an agent for W & A Gilbey, Wine Growers and Shippers.] [NEEDS IMAGE OF NO 56.] Grade II. [On the 7th September 1761, Queen Charlotte visited the house ('Colchester people - the John Bensusan-Butt biographical dictionary of eighteenth-century Colchester', vol. by S D'Cruze, 2009).] [Postcard of 1911 (below) with kind permission of J Jephcott.] *** in painting by Charles Debenham 'The Post, Head Street, Colchester' (date?? Small 2 storeyed, timber-framed and plastered building abutting No 59. One double flung sash window with glazing bars on the front. Modillioned cornice, also carried over pediment, 2:3:2 window range of double hung sabhes with glazing bars, the central window on both floors Venetian. [Samuel Wall occupied the house until his death in 1786, when his daughter Thamar and her husband Captain Royston Barton inherited it and attorney William Suddell became the occupier.

C17 with later front of 3 storeys, painted brick, parapet, 2-window range of double hung sashes, 3 lights with glazing bars, ground floor public house rooms. At the rear is a long wing extending south with the upper storey projecting on the west on carved brackets. (1874-1886); then the Headgate Hotel (1894-1933); then the Boadicea pub. From 1898 to 1901, Mrs Clara Jacklin, widow, was the Licensed Victualler at no 1. - from Pubs/Colchester/shiphead.shtml and from the Camulos web-site.] The ERO holds the deeds of the Headgate Hotel, COLCHESTER, 1812-1898: ERO C887, box 1 [Postcard c 1910, looking south along Head Street to Headgate.] Grade II. Possible invisible remains of Roman town wall incorporated in the foundations of ?? Newspapers, easily accessible in the town, brought news of current national and international affairs like parliamentary debates and the progress of the French Revolution ..." - British Hotel List of publicans: 1867/Doctor Brown Hunter/Beer Retailer & Hair Dresser 1870/Doctor Brown Hunter/Beer Retailer & Hair Dresser Note: Premises not named in 1867 & 1870 1871 Census (Doctor B. One is 1835 which must refer to the rebuilding work following the fire in the previous year. Probable C17 origin, 2 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled, 2 gabled wings at the rear. This John Brown is included in the 'Dictionary of British Sculptors' (revised 1951) and also became a famous geologist. First floor of No 27, now forms ancillary accommodation for No 25. 3-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars to upper storeys. 2 storeys the roof tiled, remains of large chimney stack, gabled staircase extension at the rear. 2 storeys, timber-framed and plastered (some modern timber-framing and rough-cast plaster) the roofs tiled. 5 window range on 1st floor, all leaded lattice casements. RS supplied the drawings and they are published here with his kind permission. Passageway to left, below a 4-paned single-light casement to fist floor. The north part may have been a separate building and dates from circa 1500, its upper storey projects on the east front at a lower level, the timber- framing is exposed. No 37 has ground floor shop and arched wood architrave. No 38 was occupied by Henry Wittey (solicitor), his wife Hannah, and four Wittey relatives (one of whom - William Wittey - was a banker's clerk), Sarah Grove (a visitor), and Emma Barrett (house servant.] Grade II. [In the 1851 Census, no 39 was occupied by Thomas Giles (21, annuitant) and his wife Emma (18), and Hannah Manning (servant).] Grade II. No 38 has a C19 shop front set in 2 elliptical arches, No 39 is a house, Nos 40, 41 and 42 have modern shop fronts. --------------- ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1784 - 1902, [building plan of bay window, 39 NORTH HILL, COLCHESTER], for G. The division into 2 houses may date from the later C19. by S D'Cruze).] [Wall family memorials in St Martin's church? 5-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars. 5-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, moulded brick band, central Doric doorcase with wood pediment, panelled reveals, 6-panel door. At the rear is a timber-framed wing with modern alterations to the north side. Brick, rendered and painted, with horizontal rustication. 3 window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars.

[No 1 was the Ship Inn (16th century to c 1869); later the Elephant & Castle pub. In the 1861 Census, William F Lugar (innkeeper) lived at no 1, with his wife Elizabeth and Matilda Scutcher (general servant). The Scheregate and Nos 1 to 4 (consec) form a group. Colchester's position on the route from London to Harwich and the Continent provided in addition an important cultural link beyond England. A much smaller plaque on the apex of the gable overlooking Head Street gives two different dates but they presumably refer to the same two events. Chimney pieces fitted up for inspection in modern and approved style ...'. No 27 has C20 two light casement over C20 shopfront. --------- Frame survey by buildings expert Richard Shackle. It has a projecting gable on the east front with moulded bressumer, projecting upper storey with curved brackets, exposed timber-framing and brick plinth. Parapet carried round central bow and moulded band below. [replace image] [In the 1851 Census, no 37 was occupied by George Chilvers (omnibus driver), his wife Eliza and their baby son George. C18 oriel window to upper storey front of the cross wing, 1 small ground floor shop front. --------- Frame survey of no 39 by Richard Shackle (unpublished). 2 storeys, 1 window above, sashes with glazing bars, No 38 has carriage arch entrance to Green's Yard. Nos 37 to 42 (consec) form a group with Nos 1 to 5 (consec) Green's Yard. 2 doorcases either side of ground floor Venetian window, open wood pediments, panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlights. Captain and Mrs Barton owned and occupied 17/18 North Hill (in JBBBD by John Bensusan-Butt, ed. 2 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled.

In the 1901 Census, the Rising Sun was occupied by Charles Johnson, publican, and his wife Susan Johnson, their son Charles, and two boarders: Benjamin Pratt, timber carter, and William Newman, timber carter.] As with many Colchester pub.s, the Rising Sun passed from the Colchester Brewing Company to Ind Coope in the 1930s, although it finally became a Greene King house. Pitt/../../../Kelly's* 1862/Robert Pack/../../../Kelly's 1867/William Bruce/Blacksmith/../../Post Office 1870/Edward Cranmer Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1871/Edward Cranmer Harrington/../../../Post Office 1871/Edward C Harrington/Inn Keeper/37/Burnham, Essex/Census **** 1871/Laura A Harrington/Wife/33/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Harry A Harrington/Son/9/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Fanny Harrington/Daughter/7/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Anne Harrington/Daughter/5/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Minnie Harrington/Daughter/1/Colchester, Essex/Census 1871/Walter Richmond/Brother in Law, Ship Wright/26/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Frances Norman/Visitor/54/Southminster, Essex/Census 1871/Laura Smyth/General Servant/18/Lingate, Suffolk/Census 1874/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1878/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1882/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1886/Daniel Southgate/../../../Kelly's 1894/Daniel Southgate/Beer Retailer/../../Kelly's 1898/Daniel Southgate/Beer Retailer/../../Kelly's 1899/D. Early during the French upheaval was born a 'solar myth of the revolution,' suggesting that the sun was rising on a new era in which darkness would vanish forever. Shop below, 5 windows above, sashes with glazing bars. ----------- Is this baymaker Michael Hills house?? To COGGESHALL, - Redgrift, from the Bull, every Mon. John's Street (18-19); Queen Street (20-24); EAST HILL (25-32); EAST Street (33-37); EAST, 1-3; West, 1-2; North HILL EAST 1-2; North HILL West 1-2; High Street untitled (3 boards); St. 2 storeys and attics, 2 dormers, cellars, the roofs tiled. Corner house with No 3A, ground floor modern shops. 2 storeys and attics, cellars, timber-framed, and plastered, the roofs tiled. A fine red brick Georgian building with the ground floor extensively altered by modern shop premises, but the upper storeys retain much of their original character. The main block has 3 storeys, the centre front breaking forward under a pediment. 3 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled. The front has been much altered by shop premises, the 3rd storey has a 3-window range of double hung sashes. 1 plan (not examined), BUILDING PLAN of shop front, 45 and 46 High Street, W. The premises are of handsome appearance, and have a capital frontage, with two imposing plate-glass windows ...' (Iot ECBR)] Grade II. No 50 was occupied by Charles and Caroline Westoby's five daughters, headed by Rosina Westoby (12, tailoress). Pancras, Middlesex/Census 1881/Mary Ann Nicholson/Wife/39/Colchester, Essex/Census 1881/Elizabeth Woods/Domestic Servant/25/Colchester, Essex/Census 1881/Abraham Rouse/Lodger, Bricklayers Labourer/40/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census 1881/Henry Worth/Lodger, Labourer/29/Horkesley, Essex/Census 1881/Frederick Davey/Lodger, Shoemaker/25/Colchester, Essex/Census 1882/George Nicholson/Tailor 1886/Charles Aylett 1894/Charles Aylett 1895/Charles Aylett 1898/Charles Aylett 1899/Charles Aylett 1901/Charles Aylett/Inn Keeper/61/Colchester, Essex/Census ** 1901/Eliza Aylett/Wife/44/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census 1901/Annie Emmerson/Niece, Dressnaker/24/Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census 1901/Thos Bennett/Brother, Sailor Sea/34/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census 1907/Mrs. Innkeepers include Henry Mason (brandy merchant), in 1765-1781, and Robert Wright, in 1768-1820. Modillioned cornice, 2 storeyed shallow bow windows either side of central doorcase, all with double hung sashes and glazing bars. The front is plastered and has a parapet, 5-window range with central oriel to 1st floor, double hung sashes with glazing bars; the oriel has a modillioned cornice. RS supplied the drawings and they are published here with his kind permission.

In the 1871 Census, the Rising Sun was occupied by Edward C Harrington, inn keeper, and his wife Laura A Harrington, and their four children Harry, Fanny, Anne and Minnie, Laura's brother Walter Richmond, ship wright, a visitor Frances Norman, and servant Laura Smyth, general servant. --------- Notes: alehouse recognizances heard in August?? But there was also the more pointed millennial assumption that, on the new day that was dawning, the sun would never set. --------------- Drawings by buildings expert Richard Shackle. To CAMBRIDGE, - Clayden, from the Bull, every Saturday ... In the 1901 Census, the Bull was occupied by Thomas Ivory, licensed victualler, and his wife Mary Ann Ivory, and their staff: Lucy French, barmaid; Laura Chapman, barmaid; Daisy Kettle, general servant; Victor Gooes, potboy.] ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1027, 1896, [building plan of stables, Bull Hotel, CROUCH STREET, COLCHESTER], for Daniell and Sons (owner) by J. Start (architect) See ERO A12603: Records of Colchester Borough Council comprising photographic survey of COLCHESTER in 1977: Crouch Street (1-4); Head Street (5-7); High Street (9-13; 8 wanting); North HILL, 14-17; St. [Old postcards with kind permission of J Jephcott; upper image of 1955.] Grade II. [Old postcards, of interior, gateway and yard, with kind permission of J Jephcott.] The drawings of the Red Lion are by historic buildings expert Richard Shackle. Formerly Stockwell House Good C17 building with fine early Cl8 red brick front. and which is situated next to the "Red Lion Hotel" ... 2 storeys, 2 window sashes with glazing bars, Modern shop front. Windows to the upper storey are double hung sashes with glazing bars. No 49 was occupied by Charles Westoby (servant disabled) and his wife Caroline,and their four young sons. --------------- [In 1895, the innkeeper at the Ship Inn was Charles Aylett.] '... It is now in use as a shop and cultural centre ...' - source uk List of publicans: 1822/James Thornington 1823-4/James Thornington 1832-3/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Emma Cranfield Note: Premises not named on the 1839 local census 1845/Samuel Cranfield/../../../Post Office 1848/James Folkard/../../../White's 1851/James Folkard/Innkeeper/35/Dedham, Essex/Census* 1851/Anne Folkard/Wife/33/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/Eliza Draper/Sister in Law, Mariners Wife/24/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/Kate Draper/Niece/1/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/William Ennals, Soldier/18/Polstead, Suffolk/Census* 1851/Creckia Clark, Soldier/18/Barham, Suffolk/Census* 1851/Robert Lawn, Tailor/30/Spalding, Lincoln/Census* 1852/J. Folkard/../../../Post Office 1862/William Byham/../../../Kelly's 1867/Thomas Roofe Nayler/Builder/../../Post Office 1870/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1871/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Post Office 1874/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1878/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1881/George Nicholson/Licensed Victualler/38/St. In the 1901 Census, the inn was occupied by Alfred J Bones, publican, and his wife Jane Bones and their four children: Frances J Bones; William B Bones, booksellers boy (aged 13); Ethel A Bones; Gertrude E Bones.] Grade II. The north-west wing has been restored and the timber-framing exposed with some original window openings; the upper storey projects on the north side. [In St Peter's parish.] [The Cock and Pie inn was three doors down from Cock and Pye Yard. The house is of 2 storeys and attics (2 hipped dormers at the rear) timber- framed and plastered, the roofs tiled, half H-shaped plan with wings extending east at the rear; these wings have a coved eaves cornice of plaster, and roofs hipped at the east end. Nos 44 to 62 (even) form a group with No 17 Sir Isaac's Walk. [Old postcard.] Frame survey by buildings expert Richard Shackle.

[[

In the 1901 Census, the Rising Sun was occupied by Charles Johnson, publican, and his wife Susan Johnson, their son Charles, and two boarders: Benjamin Pratt, timber carter, and William Newman, timber carter.] As with many Colchester pub.s, the Rising Sun passed from the Colchester Brewing Company to Ind Coope in the 1930s, although it finally became a Greene King house. Pitt/../../../Kelly's* 1862/Robert Pack/../../../Kelly's 1867/William Bruce/Blacksmith/../../Post Office 1870/Edward Cranmer Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1871/Edward Cranmer Harrington/../../../Post Office 1871/Edward C Harrington/Inn Keeper/37/Burnham, Essex/Census **** 1871/Laura A Harrington/Wife/33/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Harry A Harrington/Son/9/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Fanny Harrington/Daughter/7/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Anne Harrington/Daughter/5/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Minnie Harrington/Daughter/1/Colchester, Essex/Census 1871/Walter Richmond/Brother in Law, Ship Wright/26/Burnham, Essex/Census 1871/Frances Norman/Visitor/54/Southminster, Essex/Census 1871/Laura Smyth/General Servant/18/Lingate, Suffolk/Census 1874/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1878/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1882/Thomas Francis Harrington/../../../Kelly's 1886/Daniel Southgate/../../../Kelly's 1894/Daniel Southgate/Beer Retailer/../../Kelly's 1898/Daniel Southgate/Beer Retailer/../../Kelly's 1899/D. Early during the French upheaval was born a 'solar myth of the revolution,' suggesting that the sun was rising on a new era in which darkness would vanish forever. Shop below, 5 windows above, sashes with glazing bars. ----------- [[Is this baymaker Michael Hills house?? To COGGESHALL, - Redgrift, from the Bull, every Mon. John's Street (18-19); Queen Street (20-24); EAST HILL (25-32); EAST Street (33-37); EAST, 1-3; West, 1-2; North HILL EAST 1-2; North HILL West 1-2; High Street untitled (3 boards); St. 2 storeys and attics, 2 dormers, cellars, the roofs tiled. Corner house with No 3A, ground floor modern shops. 2 storeys and attics, cellars, timber-framed, and plastered, the roofs tiled. A fine red brick Georgian building with the ground floor extensively altered by modern shop premises, but the upper storeys retain much of their original character. The main block has 3 storeys, the centre front breaking forward under a pediment. 3 storeys, timber-framed and plastered, the roofs tiled. The front has been much altered by shop premises, the 3rd storey has a 3-window range of double hung sashes. 1 plan (not examined), BUILDING PLAN of shop front, 45 and 46 High Street, W. The premises are of handsome appearance, and have a capital frontage, with two imposing plate-glass windows ...' (Iot ECBR)] Grade II. No 50 was occupied by Charles and Caroline Westoby's five daughters, headed by Rosina Westoby (12, tailoress). Pancras, Middlesex/Census 1881/Mary Ann Nicholson/Wife/39/Colchester, Essex/Census 1881/Elizabeth Woods/Domestic Servant/25/Colchester, Essex/Census 1881/Abraham Rouse/Lodger, Bricklayers Labourer/40/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census 1881/Henry Worth/Lodger, Labourer/29/Horkesley, Essex/Census 1881/Frederick Davey/Lodger, Shoemaker/25/Colchester, Essex/Census 1882/George Nicholson/Tailor 1886/Charles Aylett 1894/Charles Aylett 1895/Charles Aylett 1898/Charles Aylett 1899/Charles Aylett 1901/Charles Aylett/Inn Keeper/61/Colchester, Essex/Census ** 1901/Eliza Aylett/Wife/44/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census 1901/Annie Emmerson/Niece, Dressnaker/24/Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census 1901/Thos Bennett/Brother, Sailor Sea/34/Wivenhoe, Essex/Census 1907/Mrs. Innkeepers include Henry Mason (brandy merchant), in 1765-1781, and Robert Wright, in 1768-1820. Modillioned cornice, 2 storeyed shallow bow windows either side of central doorcase, all with double hung sashes and glazing bars. The front is plastered and has a parapet, 5-window range with central oriel to 1st floor, double hung sashes with glazing bars; the oriel has a modillioned cornice. RS supplied the drawings and they are published here with his kind permission.

In the 1871 Census, the Rising Sun was occupied by Edward C Harrington, inn keeper, and his wife Laura A Harrington, and their four children Harry, Fanny, Anne and Minnie, Laura's brother Walter Richmond, ship wright, a visitor Frances Norman, and servant Laura Smyth, general servant. --------- Notes: alehouse recognizances heard in August?? But there was also the more pointed millennial assumption that, on the new day that was dawning, the sun would never set. --------------- Drawings by buildings expert Richard Shackle. To CAMBRIDGE, - Clayden, from the Bull, every Saturday ... In the 1901 Census, the Bull was occupied by Thomas Ivory, licensed victualler, and his wife Mary Ann Ivory, and their staff: Lucy French, barmaid; Laura Chapman, barmaid; Daisy Kettle, general servant; Victor Gooes, potboy.] ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1027, 1896, [building plan of stables, Bull Hotel, CROUCH STREET, COLCHESTER], for Daniell and Sons (owner) by J. Start (architect) See ERO A12603: Records of Colchester Borough Council comprising photographic survey of COLCHESTER in 1977: Crouch Street (1-4); Head Street (5-7); High Street (9-13; 8 wanting); North HILL, 14-17; St. [Old postcards with kind permission of J Jephcott; upper image of 1955.] Grade II. [Old postcards, of interior, gateway and yard, with kind permission of J Jephcott.] The drawings of the Red Lion are by historic buildings expert Richard Shackle. Formerly Stockwell House Good C17 building with fine early Cl8 red brick front. and which is situated next to the "Red Lion Hotel" ... 2 storeys, 2 window sashes with glazing bars, Modern shop front. Windows to the upper storey are double hung sashes with glazing bars. No 49 was occupied by Charles Westoby (servant disabled) and his wife Caroline,and their four young sons. --------------- [In 1895, the innkeeper at the Ship Inn was Charles Aylett.] '... It is now in use as a shop and cultural centre ...' - source uk List of publicans: 1822/James Thornington 1823-4/James Thornington 1832-3/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Samuel Cranfield 1839/Emma Cranfield Note: Premises not named on the 1839 local census 1845/Samuel Cranfield/../../../Post Office 1848/James Folkard/../../../White's 1851/James Folkard/Innkeeper/35/Dedham, Essex/Census* 1851/Anne Folkard/Wife/33/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/Eliza Draper/Sister in Law, Mariners Wife/24/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/Kate Draper/Niece/1/Brightlingsea, Essex/Census* 1851/William Ennals, Soldier/18/Polstead, Suffolk/Census* 1851/Creckia Clark, Soldier/18/Barham, Suffolk/Census* 1851/Robert Lawn, Tailor/30/Spalding, Lincoln/Census* 1852/J. Folkard/../../../Post Office 1862/William Byham/../../../Kelly's 1867/Thomas Roofe Nayler/Builder/../../Post Office 1870/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1871/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Post Office 1874/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1878/George Nicholson/Tailor/../../Kelly's 1881/George Nicholson/Licensed Victualler/38/St. In the 1901 Census, the inn was occupied by Alfred J Bones, publican, and his wife Jane Bones and their four children: Frances J Bones; William B Bones, booksellers boy (aged 13); Ethel A Bones; Gertrude E Bones.] Grade II. The north-west wing has been restored and the timber-framing exposed with some original window openings; the upper storey projects on the north side. [In St Peter's parish.] [The Cock and Pie inn was three doors down from Cock and Pye Yard. The house is of 2 storeys and attics (2 hipped dormers at the rear) timber- framed and plastered, the roofs tiled, half H-shaped plan with wings extending east at the rear; these wings have a coved eaves cornice of plaster, and roofs hipped at the east end. Nos 44 to 62 (even) form a group with No 17 Sir Isaac's Walk. [Old postcard.] Frame survey by buildings expert Richard Shackle.



A second season of "Rock of Love" featuring Bret Michaels was announced by VH1.… continue reading »


Read more

With the unique certified millionaire system, you can directly find real millionaires, wealthy men, gorgeous singles. With the background verification system, you can easily find someone real, serious, quality. … continue reading »


Read more