Loveland co dating
The Bellvue Post Office opened in the building on June 24, 1884.The farm and pasture lands were squatted upon in the two years that followed, so that most was claimed by G. Sanderson, one of these first settlers, who built the first irrigation ditch in the county in June 1860. Yeager in 1864, and the ditch came to be known as the Yeager ditch. In 1873, Jacob Flowers arrived in the valley and set up a homestead on a parcel of land he purchased from Joseph Mason.The ditch was the second one constructed in northern Colorado. Another early settler, Samuel Bingham, settled on the west slope of Bingham Hill in 1860. Flowers had migrated westward from Ohio and Missouri after the Civil War and had settled temporarily in Greeley in 1872.Paleoindian sites nearby, including a large bison kill site along the Poudre River, indicate human habitation dating back over 10,000 years.In the early 19th century, the area was inhabited by bands of Arapaho, who clashed regularly in small skirmishes with bands of the Ute tribe who inhabited the mountains.
In 1860, Abner Loomis, who was also an early prominent resident of Fort Collins, settled on a ranch in the valley. The following year, Flowers followed the Poudre upstream and founded the town of "Bellevue" later that year (the name was later shortened).Other early settlers in the 1860s included Benjamin T. The area was considered desirable by the Union Pacific Railroad because of the many stone quarries in the area near the town of Stout (now flooded by Horsetooth Reservoir).